Monday, May 12, 2008

Sudbury Sprint: The Race Report

I was awakened at 5:45 by my alarm. It took me thirty seconds to remember I was racing that morning.

EEEK!

Everything was in the car, packed the night before, so I just dressed and left. Kids and the hub were still asleep. They planned to come to
the race just as it was starting. I was pleased that my heart thudding annoyingly in my chest didn't wake them. Why the hell was I so nervous?

I had spent much time the night before choosing my race outfit. I really wanted to represent our team by wearing our uniform, but I also really wanted to be comfortable in the pool. Having a bare stomach in the pool--yuck. Not what I'm used to and not what I like. Finally I decided to wear my bathing suit that has a biking pad fitted into it. It's plain, unattractive and flattens my already small chest to pancake-ish flatness. It's pretty comfortable though, and I'm not particularly squeamish about running and biking it. I was wishing I had one of those suits like Bree Wee has by Splish. They are so colorful and cute. Do they have a bike pad in them? They must, right?

Okay, back to the report. I got coffee on the way and had my usual pre-race egg and cheese on an English muffin. I know it's not the best choice in the QT2 System of Nutritional Know-How, but it's always worked for me so I figured I probably shouldn't change now. Never change things on race morning. That's what they say, and I'm sticking to it.

When I got to the venue I was pleased to find I was early. I'm generally not late, but I'm also rarely early. The lines for packet pick-up and marking were pretty short. Very good. This would leave me time to get unpacked at transition and go for my warm-up.

I got distracted, though. First I found a few of my teammates, Kim (Locked and Loaded) and Maureen. Then I got distracted chit-chatting with everyone I didn't know in transition and secretly putting them into the categories of not a threat , possible threat and definitely a threat. There were two girls who fell immediately into definite threat--code red! One had a Wheelworks Multisport outfit on and was tall, slim, strong, and young. She casually mentioned she had done
Coeur d'Alene last year. Fuck! Add experienced to that list! Begrudgingly, I also had to add nice. She was really nice and very modest. The other definite threat was smaller--almost tiny-- but had a serious game face on and was clearly both experienced and strong. She was pleasant, but focused. After the race I figured out who these two chicks were. (You must scroll to the end to find out.)

There was also an extremely annoying woman setting up in transition who attempted to try to tell all of us how to set up our bikes. She had done this race last year, you see, and had lots of tips for us. We all looked at her like, Do we look like we haven't raced before? But we just nodded. Later I asked Wheelworks Strong and Thin Threat if she had raced here last year. Yes, she answered. Me too, I added. Okay then!

Finally I went to warm up on the bike. I got on the road and saw Kim warming up. "You forgot your helmet!" she screamed. Oh God. Can we scratch that I'm so experienced thing I just said? I must admit it did feel really nice to have the wind in my hair. After retrieving my helmet, I again set out. I did one loop of the bike course. I felt pretty strong. I also felt cold.


After my quick little bike warm-up I stripped down to my bathing suit, immediately started chattering b/c I was so cold, and headed toward the building to warm up for the swim. On my way to the bathroom I found Speedy. Speedy was volunteering at the race, and had agreed to warm down on the run and bike with me. Yeah! I was a little flustered when I saw her, though. I was so cold and felt totally naked in my little suit, and I was starting to realize that I might have missed my opportunity to warm up. We chatted briefly and she promised to cheer me on and take a few pictures, which she did. So now, courtesy of Speedy, I have a few race pics! Thank you, Speedy!

After seeing Speedy I raced to the bathroom and then the pool. Warm up was still going on despite that the 8:00 am start was minutes away. I jumped in. The water was much warmer than what I'm used to, and I swear to God it felt thick. Has anyone ever experienced that feeling? I did a few laps and quickly got annoyed that people were just hanging on the walls as
opposed to warming up. Get out of the pool if you aren't swimming! It was crowded! Anyway. The whistle blew and we got in line according to seed time.

I looked to the front of the line so I could catch a glance at Jarrod Shoemaker (the Olympian) and his wife Alicia Kaye (who the hub now loves due to her oh so lovely bod), who I knew were competing in the race. Then I heard cheering and Shoemaker was off--the top seed of the day!

Here is a picture Speedy gave me of all of us shivering, waiting for our turn to swim. I'm the one with my arms crossed--the short one leaning against the window in the black suit. You can see Wheelworks Strong and Thin standing close to me, talking to the guy in the red cap. I am looking away from them, shivering and freaking out because the race is about to begin.
















We watched as Shoemaker and Ethan Brown (another pro) and Alicia Kaye swam smoothly across the water, exiting the pool after 400 yards in like 4 minutes. I watched Jesse (of QT2) begin, his careful and calculated stroke even and smooth. Maureen, my teammate, started soon
after. As they swam I chatted with those seeded just before and after me. The girls in front of me weren't sure if they could do a 5:30 and didn't seem too concerned about it. This worried me. Did this mean they could easily do a 5:30, or did it mean that I would have to pass them--which would slow me up?

Then it was my turn. We were set off 20 seconds apart. Within 125 yards I was touching the toes of the girl in front of me. Damn! And, of course, she wouldn't move. I tried to go straight down the lane to pass her. When I got to the wall, three girls were hanging on to the wall! WTF! I did a
flip turn in their faces, tried to land it so I wasn't pushing off from one of their stomachs, found the wall, pushed, and set off. I wanted to scream. They had slowed me up, made me stop, and made me act like a bitch by blowing over them. Why can't people just be honest and sign up for a time they can really do???

Okay. enough. I was finally able to cruise along. Speedy took a few more pictures. That's me with the black cap swimming on by. I have 1.5 lengths left.
I finished unceremoniously. Clicked the watch. 5:52. Not even close to the 5:25 at hoped for! Damn! As I left I saw my kids and the hub. Yeah! I waved.


T1: I tried to put on arm warmers. It didn't work. I gave up, crammed my feet in my bike shoes and slammed on my helmet and glasses, and prayed I wouldn't freeze to death! Here I am
getting on the bike. Nice wedgie, I know.

It was cold out there. The only thing to do was bike really, really hard to warm up. I shifted into the big ring and began to move. I hauled along for while, all alone.
Then I saw a few bikers ahead of me. I could get them! I began to push harder. First lap down. I could hear a few cries of Go Mary! from Speedy and the hub. and kids.

Here I am going through the first loop. I think I look kind of hunched
up. I think I need to invest in a good fitting. Opinions are welcome.









I continued to move as fast as I could in the second loop. I was proud that I stayed in aero the whole ride. That's unusual for me. I just don't feel safe in aero position. I'm half way through the second loop when it happens. I get passed--by CODE RED Wheelworks Strong and Thin! Fuck! I do my best to catch up to her--but she's gone. rats rats rats. Then, suddenly, a whole throng of riders pass me, all with those silver pointy helmets and scary bikes. They are all men, except, Shit! an undiscovered CODE RED female! She is moving fast and has a fancy tri bathing suit with lettering on the ass. At first I think it's Kaye, but then I realize that would be impossible as she's probably already finished the race. Then I figure it out. Karen Mackin. She's a local elite/pro who coaches an all women's team west of Boston. It must be her. She was moving so fast-- I saw her overtake Wheelworks Strong and Thin in one smooth, fast pass.

Before I know it I'm done. I try to swing my leg over to dismount. Bad move. I fall, my bike on top of me. I wasn't hurt, just a little embarrassed. I recover and begin running to transition. I'm shaking from my unsuccessful dismount, but I manage to pull on my shoes. Wheelworks is right there in transition. I could still get her! Time off the bike: about 21 I think. I missed the split because of the fall. My Garmin said 7.3 miles, average 20.5 mph. Not bad. Not sick--like Ange's split last week--but good.

We're off. Wheelworks is only 200 feet in front of me, but I can tell she's moving faster than me but quite a bit. I try to pick it up but I am wheezing I'm working so hard already. I didn't pull the Garmin off the bike, so I have no idea my pace. I feel like I'm staying in place I'm moving so slowly. I can see Wheelworks slowly gaining ground. Damn!

No one passed me on the run, and I did pass a few guys, so that's good. Wheelworks and speedy silver helmeted Mackin are far ahead now. I round the corner and I can see the kids the hub and Jesse cheering for me and waving me. I cross the line, and briefly contemplate moving to the side so I can hurl.

Speedy finds me and I'll I can say is I might be sick I might be sick. Luckily, I wasn't.

Final run split: 16:30 for 2.3 including T2. I think I did about 6:50 pace if you take out T2.

I am happy.
  • I am happy that am better than I was last year at this time.
  • I am happy that my coach can give a sigh of relief because I PR'd for the first time this year.
  • I am happy about my stats: 2/49 in my AG, 8th woman OA and 37/383 OA in a pretty competitive field.
I am happy, but not satisfied. I can do better. I could've done better yesterday. It's a tricky balance: if you become satisfied, you can become complacent. If you are chronically under-satisfied you can become defeated and depressed. I am not satisfied, but I was reminded yesterday of something really important. Competing in triathlon is really fun. I must remember this as I critique my own performance, assess where I fall short and where I can improve. I must remember that it is fun--the training, the racing, the game that is figuring out how to cut out another minute here or there.

Thanks for reading! And thanks for the pics and the company, Speedy! I was so glad to have you around so I could blab blab blab after the race! Congrats to Jesse (3rd overall), Kim (5th AG--although her age group included the pro, Kaye--not fair!) and Maureen (3rd AG). I also want to say that Jesse's bike split was FASTER than that of Shoemaker, the Olympian!! Amazing!

Finally, Wheelworks Strong and Thin was second in 25-29. She beat me by more than a minute. Game Face Threat was 1st in 30-34. I beat her by 30 seconds. The know it all woman didn't place.

19 comments:

Pam said...

Way to start the season!!!!!! I don't know about the bike position but you look fit and fast!

Jamie Anderson said...

Nice! Those are some very impressive numbers all around. Great job and congrats!

kodiacbear said...

It seems like it was a great day! You did awesome and PR'd and a Great start of the season! Way To GO MARY!!

Anniversary Moments said...

Great job Mary!!! All your hard work is paying off! You are going to have a fantastic season!! Nice that you have all those pictures too!

Kim said...

im so proud of you! you totally kicked ass!!! you look great on the bike... thank God you put on the helmet for the bike portion :) it certainly was an interesting race, and i am positive you are going to rock over the course of the season! more wins coming your way!

mjcaron said...

Way to go!! 2nd in your age group and you improved so much from last year.

Why were those women hanging on to the side of the pool? Were they about to start their swim or were they just gasping in the middle of their swim? That's weird..

Also, it almost looks like you have something on your arms and hands in the pool. Hmmmm..

Anonymous said...

I love your race reports...exciting, funny, and the nicknames you come up with are great!! Also, reading your stuff gives me a glimpse of what it's like at the front of the pack :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You did awesome! You look like a pro. I think the fact that you felt almost sick at the end proves you pushed it as hard as you could, too.

What a super start to a phenomenal season ahead for you!

Speed Racer said...

Ugh! Know It All Woman disgusts me. There's one on every bike rack...

So wait, let me get this straight, you forget your helmet on the bike, but just to be safe you wear your swim cap to the bathroom? You're weird.

It was fun watching you and cheering for you. I'm definitely glad I stalked you (and also that I didn't get in to the race, the truth is that that field scared the shit out of me).

You didn't tell me that you FELL on the dismount! That would have made me feel a lot better when I almost bit it right in front of you (and dozens of others) about an hour later.

Congratulations again. You are a super rockstar! We'll have to do it again soon.

Speed Racer said...

Oh, and I forgot to send you the picture I took of you running into the finish. I'll send it when I get home this afternoon. Sorry and sorry I'm such a shitty photographer.

GetBackJoJo said...

I should clarify that I didn't fall on my ass--I got all tangled up and fell backward, into like a fucked up plie with my bike on top of me. I sort of caught myself before I hit the ground. So no scrapes--just embarrassment!

Ange said...

Mary!! GREAT JOB!! Don't feel bad....that's how I fell too!! My bike rigth on top of me...except I had blood ooozing down my legs for the rest of the race. Real nice. :)
You did so well! All those pre-race jitters translate into kick ass adrenaline.
I'm so psyched to see you soon and to get some training in together this summer!

SM said...

Congrats on a great race! You totally kicked butt!

Swimming for ME said...

Wish I could have seen it, especially you kicking some ass in the pool!

jbmmommy said...

Great race, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you're going to have an awesome season.

Judi said...

Good job Mary - you are so freaking fast.

BreeWee said...

I love the funny names you have for the other gals racing- too hilarious!

Fun race report too, but that pool swim looks nuts! A bit crazy huh? Not having a bit ocean to spread out in! In any case, nice race!!

Oh, as for the Splish suits... no bike pads. I don't use them. I got a super saddle that I love and a great bike fit that makes me not hurt any woman parts. BUT if you need one I have a couple friends that just take the bike shammy out of old bike shorts before they toss them and sew it into their suits, they have no complaints.

Best to you!

Jerome Harrison said...

MARY! I am so glad I found your blog now!!! Yahhhooo. NICE job at your race..your RR was excellent and I felt like I was there. A PR...? Can't be too disappointed w/ that!!! Of course we all want to be FULL Satisfied but when that happens then it is time to retire, right? :)) ENJOY your rest after the race!! :) Jen H.

triguyjt said...

your CODE RED female reference is hilarious....great stuff..

your posts are always filled with humor, much of it aimed at yourself which I like...

your description of the fall of the bike...or rather the plie..haha
too funny...

way to kick butt...2 overall in age group...fantastic....now, is there some way you can get to her nutrtion supply the morning of the next race???? JK

Rainmaker said...

They stopped at the wall? Wow, that almost deserves a kick in the stomach.

Nice job though - especially on the sub-7 run. And congrats on bringing home the hardware with a 2nd place AG, sweet!