Sunday, May 4, 2008

Librarian: That's Me


I had a stressful week. But it's over now, and I am now a future elementary librarian. I wonder how many librarians complete an Ironman? hmmmm. It began with an interview on Monday, sandwiched in after the work day and before I picked up my kids. It was for a job I knew was going to someone else. Don't you hate that? I knew the deal, but I still had to interview. Everything was perfectly pleasant, but, well, fake. Still, I reasoned, it was practice for the next day, on which I had yet another interview for a different elementary library position. On Tuesday I had to get a sub and leave work early so I could teach a class in front of the interviewing committee at said elementary school. It was interesting transitioning from the smart-mouthed sixth graders who I have been with all year to the little munchkin second graders who entered the library with such enthusiasm and good spirit. It was a welcome contrast, to say the least. The class went well (I thought) and then I interviewed with a few teachers, the principal and the department head of library in the district. It was fine. I hoped I had a chance, but given that I have no experience teaching little people (K-5) and given that I am a teacher and not a librarian and that I have no library certification, I figured my chances were a little on the slim side. To my credit, I did spend three years as a middle school librarian. But honestly, middle school librarianship and elementary librarianship are very different. On Wednesday night I was invited to attend a benefit for MS at which one of my former students was speaking. I taught Carrie nine years ago, but we have stayed in touch. I was flattered to be sitting at a table with her parents and one of her college professors who taught a course Carrie had taken entitled "Living with Illness." Carrie is extraordinary--and was so even as a seventh grader (when I taught her). She was diagnosed with MS when she was 19, and has since then done everything in her power to raise research money to find a cure for MS. In the last three years she has raised close to $200,000 on her own. At any rate, she invited Andy and me to attend, and it was an incredible experience. Touchingly, she mentioned me in her speech, and it brought tears to my eyes. (corny, I know.) This is the thing about teaching--you actually can reach kids in a meaningful way. Some actually do learn from you, remember you and honor you in years to come. It's pretty cool. And as I was sitting there, listening to Carrie and thinking what an extraordinary woman she has become, I thought, what am I doing? Do I really want to leave a profession that allows me to experience moments like this? But then I went home (very late), got up, went to work, and within thirty seconds of being with my little sixth grade people again I thought, Yep. TIME TO GO. So it was with great relief that I was actually offered the library job on Thursday. Phew! At that point I was able to actually start contemplating whether I really wanted the job. It didn't take long to decide it was the best available option for next year, but I had gotten a little used to the idea that I might not work at all, and so readjusting took a bit of time. So, in short, I actually will be working next year (which is, of course, not quite as good as winning the lottery and being able to stay home)--but not in a middle school, not as a classroom teacher, and not full time. (This job is 3.5 days a week. Yeah!) By Friday I was wiped out from the stress of worrying about whether I would be viewed as good enough to get the job, and then the stress of trying to figure out if I should take the job if I did get it. I went to bed at 9:00 p.m. on Friday night. Working out, you say? Well. Yes. I continued to train through this week--but luckily for me it was a recovery week and I didn't have to do much. One highlight of the week came on Saturday when I went for a 2 hour ride with Melissa. The day was drizzly and so cold (we started at about 40 degrees), but the ride was still fun. Each week that I go out I learn something new, though. This weekend I learned that in wet, cold weather you should always where your booties over your biking shoes. Three miles into the ride my feet felt like frozen stumps. It took twenty minutes to thaw them out when I got home! Another highlight of the weekend was that Ange raced for the first time this season and she kicked ass! She was second woman and tenth overall in a competitive field. Go Ange! (You need to check out her race report so you can see her super bloody knees!!! Yes-she was second even though she fell in T2!) I also had fun tracking Bree Wee at St. Croix. She also kicked ass and finished third woman overall. So fun to watch! Bree, you rock! Finally, nine of my QT2 teammates and the QT2 coaches traveled to New Jersey this weekend to compete in the Devilman 1/2 Ironman. Every one of them, including the coaches, PR'd. My coach, Cait, won it for women! The rest of my team did awesome too. I'm so proud to be a part of this team!

10 comments:

mjcaron said...

Congratulations on your new job. 3.5 days next year?? I'm sick with envy. BTW, my feet were very white on the bottom..weird hu? Hope I didn't slow you down to much towards the end.

Ange said...

Congrats Mary. I'm excited for you. What an honor to have your old student speak of you. I am so proud!! Very cool.

BreeWee said...

Thanks so much for your support :)
& tracking me down... that is great encouragement for me to hear.

Hope your training goes well and that you have way less stress next week!

triguyjt said...

cool on you mary about the librarian position and the "not in a classroom" situation.

That was touching about your former student carrie..and don't you just swell with pride...

Props to ange, breewee and cait who just kick so much butt, theres no gluteous maximus left

Rainmaker said...

Congrats on the job offer! Now you get more time to train :)

Speed Racer said...

Congratulations on the new job! I don't know what it would feel like for you, but being an elementary school librarian sounds about a million times better than teaching 6th grade English, even though you're clearly very good at it (as with everything you do). I'm pretty sure librarians can touch lives too.

The question I have to ask is: Are you going to read "Everybody Poops" at reading time?

Anniversary Moments said...

Yay for new career adventures! Sounds like just the change you need. And double yay for 3.5 days/week!! More time to train from IMLP '09!?!

I'm so with you on the shoe covers -- like a dodo I neglected to wear mine on Saturday because I was so worried about overheating like the previous week, and I froze, froze, froze.

Pam said...

Yay, new job!!! Congratulations!!

SM said...

Congrats on the new position!!!!

Judi said...

Congrats on 3.5 days a week! That's what I work too, only I cram 40 hours into it. :)

More time to train for you!