Friday, October 16, 2009

It's Party Time!


Well, maybe not party time.
Rather, Marathon Time.

I'm running the Bay State Marathon on Sunday. It's supposed to be wet, cold and windy. I'm holding out hope for a cool, crisp, fall day, which is what I imagined it would be when I signed up.

I  haven't written about training for this event. It's been good, though. It's been all running for the last three weeks. Heavenly, I say. Just heavenly.  No swimming, No biking, no super long hours. It's been swell.

I did have a couple doozie workouts in there. The hardest was a 22 mile run with an average pace 25 seconds per mile off my goal marathon pace. That one left me shattered. I followed that run up a couple days later with the Yasso 800s. The Yasso 800s consist of 10 x 800 with full recoveries done at the hardest consistent pace you can handle. Those were hard, but I nailed those suckers. Harder still was a few days later when I did 3 min on, 3 min off x 8, with the on at faster than 5k pace. During that one I nearly cried.

Running a fall marathon this year feels totally different than the other fall marathons I've run.  For those, the marathon was my singular focus all season. This season the IM was my singular focus, and then it was just fun fun fun in the way of sprints and Olympics--and oh! Why don't I add a marathon in there?  I've only been totally focusing on the marathon for the last three weeks, and I've only had one run longer than 16 since Lake Placid.

Still, I'm hoping for a P.R.
Actually, I'm hoping to slam my old P.R.

My tactic for this race is to run it like I own it. I'm not going to take it out at 10K pace (duh) but I'm not taking it out like a slug either, hoping to prevent the fade. I'm going to go out evenly and on goal pace, and hold that--- til 26.2. So, I'll either have a massive PR, or I will totally crack. I'm hoping for the former. Wish me luck.

23 comments:

solobreak said...

I think you'll rock it. Staying off the bike should do wonders for your running legs. Which pub afterward?

Rebecca DeWire said...

I bet you have a massive PR! Sounds like you have nailed your training. Enjoy it and good luck.

Kim said...

holy shit, you have been hitting it HARD mary! it will pay off on sunday!

amen to solo - we should go out afterwards!!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

YOU ARE READY!
Get the job done!
The 3 min "off" was "off"? I thought it was moderate. I am too nice.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know what you have to do.

:)

Ange said...

I have no doubt your slam dunk a PR. No doubt at all. I prayed to the Gods in Hawaii for you and you will do this. YOU are SO TOUGH now. Can't wait for you...GO FOR IT and Have NO FEAR!!! TAke risks my friend take risks. woohoooooo
and LOVE that cool air--got it? heehee

Kristina said...

Sounds much like my strategy: BQ or bonk. Caution is for wimps.
Go get em.

Kate Parker said...

SLAM IT! Good luck this weekend!

Michelle Simmons said...

Run it like you OWN IT. Love it! Go get that PR, Mary!!

robinbb said...

Good luck. I am sure I will only see you as a blur on Sunday when you fly by me.

Running and living said...

You are going to get the PR, the question is, how big of a PR? DO you know that they have a 3:20 pace group? Just in case you like to chat the first 1/2 of the race. I might see you there. For now, I am hoping my Garmin is going to work - just got it out of the washing machine, and it looks like the poor guy survived!

Velma said...

Good luck - I love the mantra - Own IT!

Lucho said...

Stay tough! It's as simple as that.

rungirl said...

One of my best marathons was after training like crazy for a half IM and not really for the 'thon at all. You'll rock it, no doubt!!

John said...

Go kick ass Mary! My fall full is in four weeks, so I'll use your new PR as motivation. :)

Kennyo said...

Wishing you the best of luck, I know you'll do awesome... What kind of shoes do u have?
kennyo
www.apolicemanslife.com

GoBigGreen said...

Go Mary! sounds like you are READY! Go for it girl!

Regina said...

First, I love the pink shoelaces!

Second, you will definitely slam dunk this race. Weather be damned! Just got an email tonight they cancelled our 50mile bike tour on Sunday due to weather :*(

Good luck and kick some ass!

Ted said...

You are a tough bugger, Mary. Don't forget the lessons of the CELT Challenge - dress for warmth. Aero but warm.

jbmmommy said...

Good luck, I look forward to reading about it.

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

GOOD LUCK!! kick that old PR's butt!

mjcaron said...

Mary, it will probably feel easy.. You are in awesome shape..

Running and living said...

mary, congrats, awesome pr in such conditions. ana-maria

Kim said...

mary, you fucking killed it today. and um this weather? sucks. you are amazing. congrats!