Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Weight

It's a tough topic and it's been on my mind.
Perhaps I'm sensitive to the whole thing because, alas, I was a porkster as a teenager. I was still cute, don't get me wrong, but I was a porkster. I had a body that was soft and fleshy. I only dared to wear a one piece. I had big boobs.
Don't believe me?  Photographic evidence. Spring of 1989. 18 years old.
I'm the one on the end with the white t-shirt.
And you thought I was exaggerating... tsk tsk.

This picture was taken at Range Pond in Maine with a few of my freshman year college buddies.

Nineteen years and three kids later I returned to Range Pond for the Wild Bear Triathlon. I probably would've shit myself if you had told me then that I would end up returning to Range Pond at age 37 to do a triathlon--and that I would go on to complete an Ironman two years later. Actually, I'm quite sure I didn't even know what an Ironman was at that point.

Around the time that picture was taken I had just taken up running for the first time. Courtney (Smith North shirt, above) and I would leave our dorm at midnight so we would not be seen, and run on the track. I could only run one lap when we began. By the end of the semester I could run a mile.

Some people describe their first running experience as cathartic. They loved it. They knew they would always run.
I hated it. I only ran at night so people would not see how pathetic and slow I was, and how often I needed to stop to catch my breath.  But I despised myself and my body even more, and I really didn't want to give up beer and pizza. I had no choice but to run.
 
Here I am finishing at Range Pond in 2007.



After many, many years I began to run because I loved to run.   However, worrying about my weight never left me. Honestly, what women isn't haunted by weight worry?  For example, I just stole a piece of my son's 6th birthday cake, made with, according to my mother-in-law, six sticks of real butter. I had a piece last night too. With chocolate ice cream. And that's not the only indulgence I've partaken of this week, trust me. To boot, I'm on forced rest until November.  By November I fear I will be an elephant.

 (above: Mary at IM CDA 2010.)

Telling myself to let it go--that soon I will be training again and watching what I put in my mouth-- doesn't seem to help. I call it Fear of  Elephant-Ness Syndrome or F.O.E.S.

F.O.E.S. is a big deal to nearly all women, and in our sport, weight takes on even more weight. It's not only tied to beauty standards forced on us by culture, it's tied to performance. Men suffer the same weight preoccupation as women when they involve themselves in multisport because weight is so tied to performance. So I feel for you dudes, too.

This isn't a post on how to deal with F.O.E.S., though. We all have our methods, and I'm not here to lecture on which methods are healthy.  My real reason for writing on weight is this: It's hard to determine what one's weight should ideally be.

Losing weight is hard to do, but it's so attractive to we running/tri obsessed people. I've read that for every pound you shed you take 2 seconds per mile off your running pace. That means that for a marathon you'd run five minutes faster if you did nothing other than to shed just five little pounds. How awesome is that? Just lose the weight and the P.R. is in the bag!  EXCEPT it isn't in the bag because there is, of course, a point of diminishing returns. You risk losing muscle tissue if  you lose weight when already slim which will make you slower, not faster. Further down the road from diminishing returns is the development of anorexia--or more likely for we athletes--anorexia athletica.... (It sounds so pretty, doesn't it? --like a smiling skeleton with a poppy in her hair.) I know anorexia is most closely associated with teenage girls, but we adult athletes are also at risk because there is so much emphasis on body composition in our sport.

Some would argue it's a simple formula to know how much one should weigh. I don't know the formula, but I'm quite sure there is one. The formula used when I was growing up in the 80's was this (for women): For every inch above 5 ft., add 5 lbs onto 100.  I am 5'2.5", so I should weigh, optimally, 112.5 lbs. That's not the formula anymore, though. The problem was, among other things, that assigning a number didn't account for how much fat or muscle a person carried. A person can have a ton of body fat but only weight 112.5 pounds at 5'2.5", but that person is not healthier than someone who weighs more but has less body fat. Now we determine appropriate weight using the BMI scale, but that thing is way too general to be helpful, and also doesn't account for % of body fat.  Honestly, I don't know how one determines what is right. Also, it seems that "right" in the real world and "right" for an endurance athlete are quite different things.

Who the hell knows.

In the face of having no good way to determine what my "right" weight is on paper, I have been forced to experiment in real life. What follows is my extremely scientific (haha) way to determine whether I'm track with my weight. Maybe it will help you do the same. You never know.

Here it is:

Mary's Top Six Ways of Achieving and Maintaining Optimal Weight:


  1. Am I hungry?  Okay. That sounds stupid, but it is my number one way of determining whether I'm on track or not.  I believe I should not be hungry. Ever. This is the benefit of not living in a third-world country. There is a difference between craving and hunger. I crave Devil Dogs, but I don't always eat them. Hunger is different than craving. It is signified by a rumbling tummy, by an irritable mood, and by light-headedness. If I am hungry, I am not on track.
  2. Am I craving? I'm also not on track if I'm craving. If I'm craving, I'm denying.  If I'm denying myself, I'm not on track. If I want a nice dark beer, I drink it. If my mother-in-law makes a six-stick butter chocolate cake, I have a slice. If I am craving an ice cream sundae, I have a sundae making party with my kids. What I've found is that by not limiting myself, I don't crave. I also don't experience guilt. I also don't feel the need to binge during the "off" season. I also can say no to a sweet or juicy burger or a drink, because I know if I really want it, I can always have it tomorrow.
  3. Do people tell me I look thin?  Here is a clue: If people notice you are skinny, and they say, often in alarm, Wow! You look really thin! That's a very, very bad sign. When you are the right weight you look healthy. People see you and say, Wow! You look so fit! You look really strong. God, I wish I had those arms... You are seriously buff. If you are unsure, you can always ask a member of the opposite sex that you trust and who you are not sleeping with. Yes, you look good. Not too thin--just strong. or Actually, you are looking kind of skeletal. Your face is a little gaunt. and so on.
  4. How am I training and racing? This is a neat experiment. Record your weight prior to each workout and race. At the end of the season, figure out at what weight you seemed to have the most success. This is totally unscientific, b/c there are like a billion factors that determine how well you do in a workout or race. Still, it's an interesting little tidbit of data. Usually you will find there is a sweet spot--a range of two-four pounds at which you train and race best.
  5. Am I menstruating? Okay. It doesn't help to ask yourself that if you're a guy. But if you're a chick, and you're under 48, and you're not getting your period regularly (especially if you have gotten in regularly in the past) that's a wicked bad sign.
  6. Always add to your diet, never subtract:  This goes right along with the no restricting/craving rule. I never take something away. I just add. For example, when I feel like I'm not eating well, I make sure I am eating five fruits and seven servings of veggies a day. That's wicked hard. Have you ever genuinely tried to do that? When you do, you find that the fruit and veggies suck up a lot of your hunger. You are absolutely allowed to have a burger and fries if you want it, but usually you feel too gassy and full from the green stuff and you don't want to bother.
And now, I'm off to making ghost cookies with Lara.

25 comments:

Ange said...

oh man this is cracking me right up. especially the picture of you at Coure d'alene. (however you spell that). And of course, dont' take away from one's diet. This is all so true. And a reality for me as well. It kind of drives me nuts.
we made the ghost cookies saturday. yum! watch out.

Unknown said...

At track workouts, the girls in the 20's are so, so thin! I know they work out a ton but it doesn't look healthy...I agree with everything you said and I wish I society would just appreciate the healthy look and not just the willowy look. The neat thing about big marathons is the chance to look around and see women and men of all body-types out there...most seem really healthy and "normal." This is what I appreciate about the sport of recreational running.

Judi said...

excellent post again girl. i am going to share it on FB.

Katie said...

If I'm training really hard, I don't feel compulsive about my weight, but during off time I have trouble. In college, I was always my lightest in the off season because I'd feel crazy. When a the new season would start, I'd gain 5-10 pounds within a few weeks. That's funny, right? I'm heaviest when I train hard! I like your rules. They're similar to the rules I try to follow too. Especially the hungry one, I hate being hungry.

Running and living said...

Oh, weight, I agree, women who say they don't care are lying about it, or in denial, or 500lbs, or living in one of those remote places in earth where they worship being fat (and then they worry about not being fat enough), or so depressed that they don't care about anything.
I agree with your rules, completely. Also, I find that if you don't make food an issue or a coping style, it does not become an issue or a coping style. Because I am confident that food issues, even in athletes, are rarely about food.

Kristina said...

You are so right about the serve-your-craving point. Once I stopped denying myself the foods I wanted, I stopped craving them all the goddamn time. Also I find that if I need to hit optimal race weight, I just produce some stress or let Henry get me sick and I can knock a few pounds in a week.

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

I completely agree with your take on food!! I try to eat everything I love in moderation. When I've eaten sort of bad for a few days, I actually start to crave fruits and veggies. If we listen to our bodies, they will tell us what they need!

Lucho said...

Great post MIM- My wife was a professional ballerina and has gone through something similar. But for her to keep her job they had weigh ins every week. She's healthy now and keeps me in check. I'm a dude trying to be a great runner and I see other male runners battling this too. Underweight or very low BMI is similarly unhealthy as obesity, it has it's own set of problems. Nice post, thanks.

rungirl said...

Great post. It echoed what I was trying to say a few weeks ago but you said it much better! Maybe because you are a writer and I am far from it! I totally understand everything you said. The newest addition to my diet ... organic carrot juice. When it's chilled it's actually pretty good and VERY good for you. BTW... There is no way to look like that when you train for an IM!!

Michelle Simmons said...

I think we've got pretty similar views on food/weight/etc. One thing I really *like* about not training so much is that I'm not obsessed with food all the time like I am when I'm IM training. Training 20+ hours/week makes me want/need to eat ALL THE TIME and that just gets annoying. That being said, at some point here I'm going to have to adopt a more normal eating pattern so I don't end up looking like that elephant now that my training is cut in half!

Ted said...

MIM - you are right, as a male endurance athlete i am always concerned about weight. Worse, I always - always - feel fat. And think I look fat. FAT!
You're wrong on a couple points, however. Refined sugar is evil. Just eating it causes you to crave more. I'm off sugar and off bread (other than ezkl). Two weeks and you no longer crave it.
Another point - going fast has little to do with " health." the front of the pack is always occupied by the skinniest dudes and dudesses.
Look tp body fat % as your metric and shoot for 9-10% for a woman endurance athlete. 6-8% for a male.
BTW - aging mammal syndrome sucks.

JBM said...

could not agree more! and now i am going to feast my lips onto the red velvet cupcake that i treat myself with every week after pilates (despite the looks from the women in the class)!

Regina said...

Weight... mine has tortured me my whole life. As you said, it seems to always be on my mind. The only time I felt free was when I was pregnant.

So funny, I also used to run at night so no one would see me running. I hated running, I'm not so sure I even like it now, but I'm working on it.

Recently I saw some people I hadn't seen in a few months and I was shocked when they told me how fit and happy I looked (what was shocking is that it came from a few different ppl. during the course of one day).

I know I feel good, but I still am shocked when I see race photos, as they don't reflect how I feel; I still look a bit on the heavy side. I can't even claim baby weight, even though that's when I gained it, but still it clings there three years later.

Thanks for some good tips. I always find my tummy grumbling and then eat. I get so distracted during the day. I also need more fruits and veggies, always a tough one.

Thanks for the vent.

Golden Girl said...

can i use this?? this is amazingly written. you speak my language lady! since i specialize in eating disorders, i talk all day about balance.

of personal note- not being able to train for the past 6 months changed my waistline no doubt. nothing i could do about it. so i let my body change. best thing: i stopped weighing myself. the less i became attached to my scale and "range", the more sane and at peace i've become.

when i weight- i criticize. when i don't weigh- i fall in love with my body. no joke. i actually love my curves. it's cool to see hips, boobs, and even a belly. i look healthy. in my book: voluptuous. i get that i'm still thin but with acceptance of my life/exercise situation and ditching the scale, i've really experienced peace and more balance in my food choices.

parting words, something that i love and use at work...

It could be helpful to know what distinguishes disordered eating from normal eating, which is defined as follows:

Normal eating is being able to eat when you are hungry and eating until you are satisfied. It is being able to choose food you like and eating until you get enough of it, not just stopping because you think you should.
Normal eating is being able to use moderate constraint on your food selection to get the right food, but not being so restrictive that you miss out on pleasurable food.
Normal eating is giving yourself permission to eat sometimes because you are happy, sad, or bored, or just because it feels good.
Normal eating is three meals a day, or it can be choosing to eat several small meals/snacks throughout the day. It is leaving some cookies on the plate because you know you can have some tomorrow, or it is eating more now because they taste so wonderful and fresh.
Normal eating is overeating at times: feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. It is also undereating at times and wishing you had more.
Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating.
Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life.

In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your emotions, your schedule, your hunger, and your proximity to food.

Golden Girl said...

oh yea! and 9-10% body fat for women is anorexic. you most certainly stop menstrating. 14% is the lowest but the majority of us serious athletes should be around 18%.

Ange said...

Mary--I was all hung up on laughing at the funny descriptions you gave...I love the way you write. But of course this IS a serious topic and it plagues me daily. I must jump in and make a comment too about women's body fat%. From all I've learned along the way, I am quiet sure 9-10% for women is quite low. We got measured for this during the peak of our college swim season. We were all around 20 with what appeared to be no body fat. Most of us measured around 14-17%. Just fyi.

Kim said...

great post my dear. i was watching some reality show about the dallas cheerleaders, and you know how smokin hot they are? tight little bodies with sweet boobs? they were between 19-26% body fat. i dont know if i am trying to make a point here, but they look smokin. i'm just saying :)

you crack me up. xo

NY Wolve said...

I have struggled with my weight ever since high school (I am now 42). Originally, I was a short pudgy kid (my 9 year old asked me what pudgy meant the other day.) Then I grew to 6'2" and was thin. Then office work has led me to add weight, which I have periodically lost. Up, down, up, down. I am now down, thankfully.

I have never had problem of being too thin. Except in last several weeks -- a tough bit of work and stress resulted in me dropping to my lowest weight in about 20 years. And then I tried to run. Forget it -- I had nothing. And I am preparing for a marathon, so I knew I had to add back that energy and glycogen. So I have been eating the last ten days or so, whether I like it or not (and I do like it).

As for tips, I know when I am eating badly. I know that the chips and salsa or dessert or beer is bad and will add weight. The choice I make; the key is to make good choices -- not out of surrender but of will. Thus eating a piece of cake of having a beer isn't going to kill me so long as I stay on the path.

I hope people take your tips and helps them become comfortable with food and their weight.

I have no great insight other than make good choices.

RunningMama said...

Hi Mary--I read your blog from time to time and this post couldn't have been more timely! I was just giving myself a hard time for eating too much icecream last night and now I feel so much more normal! Great post.

Bob Almighty said...

With no Ironman New Zealand on the 2010 calendar and all the job hunting cutting into training I'm starting to get my own case of FOES or Fear of Sumo Wrestler Syndrome. Good Post.

Sarah Woulfin said...

Thanks. BIG thanks. Really.....I appreciate the rule of checking if you're hungry and adding foods....

rungirl said...

After I read all the comments, I need to chime in again ... A few years ago I wanted my body fat to test out at 14%. I went in and had it measured and it was 20%. I almost fell over!! The person measuring it informed me that most female runners don't even have body fat that low. I did some more research and changed my mind. This is a serious topic and one I live every day being an athlete. All I'm going to say is do your research, be smart, and if you have a problem, get help!! Thanks for bringing out the issue.

Eileen said...

Great post. I have to say though I really am not a weight watcher, I am more concerned with my abilities (tested in races) and when I pinch around and feel chub. Last I checked I was about 140 lbs at 5'7" which sounds heavy, but I feel and look great. Who put these notions of "proper" weight in our heads anyway?

Trigirlpink said...

I'm WAY behind on my blog reading... Sh*T! Your foot is BAD?????? Sorry!!! At least it's at the END of your WAY OVER THE TOP SUCCESSFUL season. (phew) Awesome post about weight. I think we ALL (esp. women in this sport with type A persona) can relate. I will need to pay much more attention to every aspect of my fueling if I want to cross a finish line without being a sobbing mess. ie: Longhorn

Cookies?? Home made for Hallowennie? Pictures please...

Speed Racer said...

The one I learned as a personal trainer... or maybe just as a weight-obsessed FOES individual who HAPPENED to be studying to be a personal trainer (I don't remember anymore): Body fat percentage should be between 10 and 20%. Below 10% women stop menstruating. And on a side note, what I wouldn't give for a little amenorrhea! I actually asked my doctor to take my uterus out and she just laughed at me.

Why don't you try something like the 1000 push-up challenge or something to keep you from going insane while you're on your forced rest period? It strengthens like your whole body and you'll be wicked cut for short sleeve season again...