Monday, October 5, 2009

The Talent Code and its Implications for Triathlon

I'm reading the The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle.  Its premise really isn't novel.  The gist is that when we focus deeply on something, when we repeatedly work at it, when we throw our passion into it, we can excel in our chosen domain at an accelerated pace.

Of course.

Still, the book has me thinking. It's causing me to acknowledge and question my deeply-rooted beliefs about talent, intelligence and skill.

  • On a conscious level I know that any skill can be honed by working at it. 
  • On an unconscious level I believe that some people pick up skills more quickly than others, and this is a pre-determined, genetic thing.
  • On a conscious level I know that intelligence is worked at; that those people who read, study, and practice are the ones who gain knowledge most quickly and thoroughly, and are the ones who excel at taking standardized tests and landing A's in school.
  • On an unconscious level I believe that intelligence is inherited. Some people are smart; some people aren't, and there isn't much you can do to change that.
  • On a conscious level I believe that I can train my body to excel at whatever I decide is worthy of such a pursuit.
  • On an unconscious level I believe there are born athletes and born troopers, and that I am a trooper, devoid of inherited athletic prowess.
This book has made me really question my unconscious beliefs about talent.

For example, I consider my husband very intelligent. I believe he is superior to me in this intelligence, and that I could never match his perfect GREs, his undergraduate degrees in physics and religion (the two of which combined illustrate the range of his interests/ability), his doctorate from Harvard, his thorough knowledge of pretty much everything from A-Z.
In short, he is smart.
He is smarter than me.

Or take Ange. Ange is a killer athlete, and she always has been. When we were tykes she dominated the swimming pool. Dominated. In high school she did cross-country and track, and though they weren't her focus, she dominated there as well. When in college she swam Division I, and domintated there, and when she graduated she ran her first marathon with limited training and she qualified for Boston on this first time out.
She is a natural. gifted.
She is more gifted than me.

BUT.
What if Andy is intelligent and Ange is a killer athlete because from day one they have viewed themselves as intelligent and an athlete respectively, and therefore put in the time--the focused practice--to achieve this?

According to this book what happens is this:

  • You have a vision of yourself inspired by something--like watching Tiger Woods on TV, or seeing someone perform Fur Elise on the piano who is your same age, or whatever--and you decide: I want that for me. 
  • You go into deep practice. You don't just practice; you get into this meditative state where you slow things down and divide the skill into its various parts, memorize each part through constant repetition, and then emerge, skill born. Your learning is accelerated exponentially when you achieve this focused state.
  • You develop passion. You want this thing for yourself and you continually go into deep practice to achieve it. You have a vision of yourself that is long term. You are a STUDENT. You are a SWIMMER. You are a PIANIST.  This vision sustains you and you aren't deterred from your mission.
  • As you enter this state, the focused learning state, the myelin in your brain wraps tightly around the ignited nerve fibers, insulating them and allowing electric impulses to travel more speedily and smoothly. The more the skill is practiced, the more myelin wraps around the nerve fiber, and the more rote the skill becomes. So it's all about myelin. Apparently when they dissected Einstein's brain there was a shitload of myelin in there. At the time they didn't know why. Now they do. He myelinated--like incessantly.
So, perhaps, Andy believed he was an intelligent from an early age, and he learned how to go into "deep practice" to realize this truth. What I have noticed over the years is that when Andy doesn't know something, he will slow things down and focus--sometimes for days--until he gets it. Do this for forty years straight, and well, no wonder he is Wonder Boy. He has myelinated the shit out of his brain. It's not that he is more innately talented than others; it's that he has entered this state repeatedly since he was a wee one.

I didn't do that.

Or with Ange. She got the signal she was an athlete early on. She worked at it. and worked at it. and worked at it. She myleinated when doing the fly, when running on the track. Ange is really strong, and when you look at her you think, Wow, she inherited a seriously athletic build. But then  you look at her parents. They are small. PETITE. Ange's mom is smaller than me, and that's saying something. Her genes didn't make her strong--I don't think, anyway. It was the signal she gave to her body from a young age. Develop here. Move here. Myelinate now. Her body and mind adapted to her vision of herself, to her constant deep practice.

It's interesting to watch my kids in this light. Jordan loves to draw. And she's good. I always thought this was a gift. She inherited the "art" gene, I'd say. Now I see that she is good because she spends so much time in deep practice. She can spend hours drawing a flower. She draws it again and again until she gets it right. She's making myelin, and it's wrapping around nerve fibers so that each time she draws that flower, she does it with greater ease, accuracy and skill. Conversely, Jordan is not creating much myelin around playing soccer. On the soccer field she is somewhere else. She chats with her friends; she looks at her feet. She follows the ball but doesn't get into the action. This isn't because she isn't an athlete. If it were up to genes, she certainly would be a soccer player. Her father and uncle are awesome at the game. But she hasn't gone into deep practice around soccer. She likes soccer. But she doesn't love it. Until she develops passion for it, until she goes outside each morning to work on it, until she gets some myelin wrapping going on in soccer land, she won't achieve it.

What does this all mean?
The cool thing about myelin is that it can grow throughout your lifetime. It grows with greater speed and efficiency when you are younger, but it grows as an adult nevertheless.

What this says to me is that I need to stop believing there is a ceiling for my achievement. The thing is, I have to WANT that achievement, so much so that I meditatively hone its various parts, so much so that I practice deeply at it for years. I could learn physics. Do I want to? Well, yes. But not so much that I am willing to focus on it the way I have, say, focused on triathlon. 

We can't change our genes.
But that doesn't matter. We have more power over our abilities than we have been led to believe.

20 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I love your blog - so brutally honest and open. And, very entertaining. You just posted a lot to think about here... and I am sure everyone will agree.

Kristina said...

Adult dev't is a fabulous thing, and it's a shame that more adults don't continue to learn and excel after they finish their schooling. The most exquisite thing is that athletics actually hones our mental aptitude as well, so those who train as adults are myelenating the shit out of themselves.

Running and living said...

It't the idea of nature nurture. Nature gives you an interval, and nurture allows you to get to your potential (or not). Of course, the younger you start, the better, because your brain and body are more plastic at a younger age. I am a true believer in having conversations with kids about these things, and being a good model. In my family, I am the one with the PhD and the Harvard appointment, but honestly my husband who is somewhat struggling in his career would be the smarter one, if we were to undergo IQ tests (one that I don't already know:). I think I worked hard in school from day 1,and my husband slacked because of the context of our lives growing up. Of course, lots and lots of other variables come into play. By the way, I think you are very smart, and a very good athlete:)

MaineSport said...

The topic/book sounds very similar to The Outliers. He maintains it takes environment (cultural, era, etc) and tons of work- 10,000 hours to be exact. Bill Gates, the Beatles, hockey players- all worked long and hard at their craft. I agree it can be developed as an adult. It also takes passion. "If you like what you do, you'll be good at it."

Regina said...

I have always continued to pursue knowledge after I graduated from college. It came in many forms. While I studied karate for 7 years we were encouraged to keep a beginners mind. Repetition, well, let's just say sets of 100 kicks, punches, etc. every day will build anyone's myelin. It didn't hurt that I LOVED the sport, so did excel at it.

The other interesting thing I noticed took place in some painting & drawing classes I took a few years back. I have always been a good artist, but always looking to improve. I had thought you either were born with an "eye" and talent or not. This class taught me otherwise. While I did get better, the improvement among students who were not artists per say, was astonishing at the end of the semester. Although they may not end up in anyone's private collection, the improvement was beyond my imagination. Truly stunning.

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Hell, I ought to know starting this crazy triathlon thing at 42!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Great post! And, I agree with so much. I read (last year) "TALENT IS OVER-RATED - What Really Separates World CLASS Performers From Everyone Else" BY: Geoff Colvin..... and it has the same thing....but more about how practice, practice, practice makes GOOD athletes or whatever your passion is in life....Anyway, I am all over stuff like this. This is what I enjoy - the MENTAL part of things and the pysch part of it all...and I do think people are born with certain strengths but there are so many things that separates innate versus learned....
I read the Outliers too - loved that one too, Alina.

:))

Kennyo said...

Hey,
I think I'll have to get that book, this was a very nteresting post, u got me hooked I'll buy it...lol
Kenny

Ted Darling said...

Great post. I read about this myelination factor in Play Magazine (NY Times) about four years ago. The focus was on Russian tennis players. The essence of the article was "practice makes perfect" because of the physiological benefits of perfect technique combined with daily, hourly repetition. What your article ads is the notion of deliberate, mental functioning towards your passion and goal. Does this mean I still can be a great bike rider?

Lucho said...

Great post, thanks for that. I see my 3 year old son so intently focused on his monster truck though, now I'm nervous. :)

Velma said...

Great post - you are just like your husband and Ange. You are putting in the time and have the discipline - you will get there.

I just read the book Lance. What struck me was he was the first person to train on the Tour de France course. Duh! Preparation and sacrifice go a long way. It is the extra sacrifices that add up. I also think this is why so many very good athletes are obsessed about food. You never know what extra element in training is going to make the difference in a race.

djcoyle said...

Okay, I'm the guy who wrote the book. This is some of the most thoughtful and authentic conversation about it I've come across yet -- which makes me happy. Thanks for that. Also: great blog. -Dan

Custie said...

This makes total sense. I once confused gifted and talented. I had always wanted to play guitar but thought I had to be gifted to understand music. I read something that talent is learned through repetition so I decided that I wanted to learn guitar. I obsessed with it to the point that I can now play quite well and play with bands. I used this same mentality with I started getting in shape and doing triathlons last year, I got obsessed with it. I didn't own a bike, hadn't swam a pool length since high school and never ran more than 3 miles in my life and I was 45 lbs heavier before last April. This explains why I've been able to excel .. I'm obsessed, consumed with a passion for what I want to do.

Michelle said...

Hmmmm. Well, I'll totally agree that one shouldn't discount an activity they enjoy simply because they don't feel they have innate talent for it. But there certainly IS something to genetic predisposition - it's not just desire. There are PLENTY of folks who train their hearts out - give up EVERYTHING for a goal/dream, but they simply aren't good enough. Not because they don't try hard enough, but because they just don't have that extra something.

I see this in my kids - my son has been freakishly good at math since he was VERY young. So young, that he simply couldn't have seen someone do something and thought "hey, that looks like fun, I'll try hard at this too." Nope - his brain is simply wired for math. Period.

Of course with passion and drive and work, everyone can improve. But there will be upper limits, and those upper limits will be different for everyone. But don't give up until you find that limit - you never know what you may have in you that you simply haven't fully tapped into yet. :)

Kim said...

um THE Daniel Coyle commented on your blog post.

truly awesome.

In A Fog said...

This is fascinating information. I've been struggling with the talent vs. love/passion conundrum for awhile (both for myself and one of my kids). What I have not been factoring in is the aspect of focus/discipline. I just did my second half marathon and while I did OK, I was disappointed with my effort based on all the speed work I had done. Problem is while I did the physical work, I don't think I was mentally committed. I am a musician and always have to get a piece "in my head" before I feel comfortable with it. Why shouldn't the same principle apply to running and other athletic pursuits?

I will have to put this book on my reading list as I contemplate my first full marathon this spring.

Thanks for sharing!

Trigirlpink said...

Ok.. I NEED some good stuff to read so I just order Dan-o's book PLUS a trashy novel- Her Fearful Symmetry, ok not trashy but a quick read for the Halloween season instead of candy??? Gotta love the quick check out of Amazon.com. Zipp zipp and 2 books are heading my way!!
POWDERED MILK- I am not kidding.. I was exposed to that poison as a kid too!

Cheers
xx

Linda said...

Interesting perspective! Adding this to my ever-increasing list of books to read...

Katie said...

Nice post. My first thought was I'm not buying it, some people are just talented. But then I took a deep breath, and focused on being more open minded. And now that I think about my life, I totally got through college by "deep practice." In high school I didn't even excel at math, and then I decided I was going to college to be an engineer and I was going to be good at it. I did really well, and never could figure out how I managed it. It was definitely a "deep practice" meditative state. I found a zone. With running, it's always been important to me, but not as important as academics. I worked hard at running, don't believe I have any natural talent, and managed to do fairly well, but never gave it my full attention. Maybe that's why I never made it to the next level.

Cool post...made me think.

mjcaron said...

I really hope this is true. How cool would it be to start believing that you CAN reach your dreams even if you aren't blessed with raw talent. I blogged about forcing the "Want" BUT erased it. Hmm.

Speed Racer said...

Alright, I haven't read the book, but I LOVED Lance Armstrong's War (also by Coyle), so now I'm intrigued. (Also, have you read Outliers?) BUT what about these examples:
When I was in high school, I wanted so badly to be a rock star. No matter that I couldn't sing, or write songs. I was going to learn to play the guitar and be really, really miserable so that I would be able to write tons of gut-wrenching songs like the ones I liked to listen to. I spent hours practicing my guitar, but I just SUCKED at it. I was SO bad. And as far as writing the songs... I wrote shitty poetry and never figured out how to put it into words. It wasn't for lack of trying, I just DIDN'T have talent for it. Same with ice skating when I was a preteen. I got the private lessons and skated 6 hours a week, but in 2 years, I still couldn't land an axle. I just sucked at it.

Now what about my brother? My brother fancies himself an intellectual. He never got a job until after he graduated college, and then he got some job that they usually give to grad students, because he is an *intellectual*. The thing is, when you talk to him in conversation, it's SO clear that HE'S NOT VERY SMART. He can regurgitate information like a tape recorder, but doesn't have the life experience to tie all that knowledge together in a greater sense. And I'm not saying that because I hate the guy. He's really just not that bright. But he spends his life stroking his intellectual ego by reading the fattest books he can find because he FANCIES himself an intellectual.

It's just my humble opinion, but I think that passion is only a component of innate talent. Jordan is a good artist because she has a talent for it, and she practices it more because she *IS* good at it. Feel free to disagree... but I think that Andy probably did start out with a higher IQ than most, and Ange probably started out with more slow twitch fibers and better neuropathways. (Didn't you say she didn't have to train much for her first marathon?)... Okay, I'll shut up now.