Friday, October 2, 2009

Nutrition: Cause I'm a Nutritionist (not)

I've been thinking about food.

I do this a lot, of course. I love food. I don't discriminate. I like kale and I like Little Debbie's. I like Twinkies and I like soy nuts.
You know.

I like it all.

I began exercise many a year ago so I could eat food and not hate myself and my body for it. It worked. I ran. I ate. I ran. I ate. And I could eat pizza, beer, the occasional piece of cake, the occasional Devil Dog, and I didn't pay for it in rolls and guilt.

Then I actually began to like running. Then I began to love running. Then I started getting serious about my running. And I stopped thinking about how running allowed me to eat, and started thinking about how food could help me run farther. and faster. and better. This was quite a major switch in thinking for me.

I still eat pizza and drink the occasional beer. I don't usually eat a Little Debbie or a Devil Dog, but I do eat cake and brownies and chocolate pudding. I don't eat these things everyday, but I eat them. And I wonder, how do this fact affect my running, swimming and biking? Will everything go to hell in a handbasket (what does that expression even mean?) if I make no rules for myself around the ingestion and digestion of all food?

Don't get me wrong. I eat well. I know most people believe they eat well, but I really think I eat well most of the time. I get at least seven servings of vegetables and several servings of fruit a day. I eat lean protein and Greek yogurt and lowfat cottage cheese and seeds and almonds and tofu. I avoid refined starches and sugars. Whatever. You get the drift. The reason I bring this up, though, is because people who are very serious about triathlon talk about nutrition so much. You'd think that people training for Ironman would be able to let go a little--allow themselves indulgences given that they burn thousands of calories in a day. But they don't. Serious triathletes think about what they put in their mouths to the point of obsession.

I realize that this is because food is fuel, and you want premium fuel to run the engine well. However, sometimes I wonder if it is thought about so much that it takes the joy out of an otherwise pleasurable thing. I have friends who allow themselves so little when they train. They can have the gels, and the sports and recovery drinks, and much of the food they eat is delicious. But there are really strict rules as to what is okay. I can't seem to abide by such rules. I want to compete well. I do sacrifice in many ways. But to give up pizza, or handful of my daughter's honey nut Cherrio's, or to stop putting real sugar in my coffee. Is that too far?

I think quite a bit about the psychology of sport. Sometimes I wonder whether the sacrifices we make fuel us to greatness because we are aware of the sacrifices, and we believe these sacrifices will fuel us to greatness. Having a chunk of chocolate brownie each day probably won't negatively affect performance, but the denial of it--will that sacrifice move the athlete to the belief she will succeed--and so she does? Karen Smyers, I read in an issue of Triathlete several months back, drinks a beer the night before every race. She didn't perform well in one triathlon, and she believes (likely jokingly) that her lack of a beer the night before was the reason she did not do well.  What do we make of that?

Before I race I always have peanut butter and banana. This works for me usually. Lately, though, I've noted that peanut butter has been given the shaft. It's asinine to eat it before a race because you won't digest it quickly, and it will linger in your belly and cause digestive problems.
But it doesn't cause me digestive problems. That's the thing. The reason I like peanut butter is because if I have some the morning of the race, I don't have a blood sugar spike that leaves me feeling hungry later on--usually within an hour of the race start. The fat in the peanut butter satiates me; it makes me feel full, but not heavy. And if the recent research is true, it doesn't much matter what I eat hours before I race, or even whether I eat all (though I find this hard to believe). So what's the problem here? If peanut butter is so wrong, then why are so many of us able to eat pre-race and race successfully?

This isn't what I intended to write about. I meant to write about how I feel like a pill popper these days. I recently read an article on Vitamin D, and decided that I needed to take it on a daily basis. Combine this with the Omega Three fatty acid pills I take, and the Iron, and the spirulina--. It adds up. I meant to write about how easy it easy to miss key nutients, like Vitamin D, when we aren't careful.

But maybe we are all too careful. Maybe we take it all a bit too seirously. Maybe that brownie won't cause me to gain two pounds overnight and ruin next week's race effort. Maybe our non-triathlete friends and neighbors are right to think we are crazy and don't know how to enjoy life.

Or maybe that is just what those people who don't care to compete at the highest level think.

I honestly don't know.

13 comments:

Kristina said...

I am quite superstitious with the placebo effect in certain cases. If I drink martinis the night before a HM and get a PR (happened), I shall drink martinis before every HM. I don't get superstitious about my rituals when it comes to stuff that doesn't give me a nice buzz, though.

Ange said...

Everything in moderation. I believe this. I believe in eating very well all the time. That said, I DO have treats! Yes I DO!!! Even, gasp, while training for an Ironman. I'd probably be kicked off some teams for it. But like you said, I don't have them often. And I don't have a lot of them. And I have been taught how to time them well. I think there's something ok about an oatmeal raisin cookie...while I Do always avoid corn dogs for example. Just the first thing that comes to mind. We only live once. TAke care of our bodies. FUel them well for training. And racing. Be heart healthy. I am quite obsessed with my nutrition and my kid's nutrition in fact. However, I will not say no to sharing their birthday cake with them or having a freshly baked cookie either.

solobreak said...

The so-called "sports nutrition" foods are probably the worst crap that you eat. Would you feed that to your kids? Ever wonder what the gel factory or the machine that puts it in the packets looks like?

Chill out, resist marketing, ignore the study/fad of the month. If 90% of what you eat is good quality then the 10% sin foods aren't going to hurt you. You know what lean and competitive feels like, and you'll know the instant things start to get out of hand.

I'm just thankful to have choices like these to make. We take so much for granted.

Next time you're going to BBC, Nappers or Lewis's let me know. I hate missing out on pizza and beer...

Regina said...

First, thank you for your VERY helpful advise.

I started running (and biking and swimming) in February of the this year. Since then I have been losing weight steadily, but slowly. I eat about the same as I did before with some very minor changes for the better. I love food. I love beer and wine. I don't overindulge, but I enjoy. There are certain things I will not give up (did I mention beer? oh chocolate too?).

I do have Almond butter on race morning instead of the PB. Somewhere in my mind I think it is better for me.

I also have been thinking about vitamin D lately. There's been a lot of talk about it so am thinking about adding it once a day.

superstitious? You bet. If it works, or seems to work, no matter how flukey, it's in!

Running and living said...

Oh, I love this:)
I can certainly see how nutrition can become an obsession with triathletes and runners; you have to have an obsessive personality to be dedicated to training for hours and hours... I think at times it is hard not to lose persective. I believe nutrition can aid recovery and performance, up to a point. Bill Rodgers ate mayo on anything and everything (including peanut butter)...Even Kara eats brownies. In the end, it becomes a personal decision. I would be miserable if I were to restrict my diet; I am lucky that I don't crave crap, most of the time. I also think that athletes like a sense of control and predictability, which is reinforced by articles and megazines. It's easy to make yourself believe that something helps or does not help your performace. Our brains are not very reliable that way. Then there is the issue of body weigh, which can throw many people off into eating disorders and unhealthy obsessiveness, but that's for another comment...

Kim said...

you know how i feel about all of this. MODERATION!! when you deny your body time after time after time, you are going to have crazy cravings and will probably crash and burn and binge eat all the bad things all at once. so treats in moderation. eat smart. live happy. no need for food obsession.

Amanda said...

Great post! I've pondered so many of these same things. And I eat much the same way as you. i think. and i always go with the pb & banana before a race. And a lot of times before early morning swim practices. no digestive probs here. But the mind is a powerful thing. I've found that at times, it's psychology over phisiology that determines how I perform.

Swimming for ME said...

I'm no expert either but that is pretty much what I take... vit D, omega-3's and spirulina powder in yummy shakes. you go you healthy girl! (that sounds dorky doesn't it?)

Michelle Simmons said...

I think a lot like you do. I used to eat all sorts of crap when I was younger and training for IM. I think we could do that then. I used to think that women in their 30's who complained about metabolism and not being able to eat whatever they wanted anymore were just full of it and making excuses. But now I know they were/are not! ;) But I found it to be 100% true that when you eat lots of good whole foods, you feel better and train better and race better, so most of the time, that's what I do. And even though Moana eats broccoli and spinach and quinoa for breakfast every morning, she has tasted cake and ice cream and cookies already. :) It's all good.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Mary! GREAT blog. You know....I had to crack myself up b/c I was reading blogs while eating lunch, which was after a 2 hour ride - I was eating PIZZA!!! I bet you would never guess what the #1 sabatoge is to a successful female triathlete? FOOD ISSUES. MORE females that I work with have them than not. It is always a battle. I love when I read nutrition plans and it says, "GUMMY BEARS at 3 hours of my bike ride." Perfect.

AND I LOVE the fact that you brought up Peanut Butter and HOW some say not to eat it...I mean, if it works for you, then GOOD. I think if people can race on PIZZA then do it. Ya know? I love peanut butter and can race on it too and OATMEAL TOO! for 15 years and not having any issues.

GREAT POST!

Judi said...

i just emailed you my vitamin regiman that is never missed. i think about food a lot - i try to pick the good stuff over the bad stuff, but since i gave up drinking wine and things like that, i do deserve the ocassional little debbie!

the one thing jen and i butted heads on is when to take in protein. i have always raced on a protein shake and oatmeal. IM was diff cuz i listened to jen.

i don't know.

you sure do think a lot. lol.

Jessica said...

I think it is very easy to become so strict that you take away one of life's greatest joys (eating and drinking-for me anyway.) People already think we are crazy, but when we get so strict I tend to think we are no longer enjoyable to be around--and no longer balanced. I choose life with an extra pound, or three.

GoBigGreen said...

I was reading an elite female Triathlete's blog awhile ago and even a few pros and was wondering the same thing. I mean when i am training alot i eat ANYTHING. Yes in moderation and the staples are not junk but when i want ice cream or a cupcake I have one. I have ALWAYS eaten Oatmeal and peanut butter before races, bc it fills me up. IMO I think that there is some OCD with all this and it is just one more thing to control. I cant see giving up foods bc there is no bad food:)