Sunday, January 6, 2008

"Fun" 4 Miler Race Report

As expected, the 4 Mile Fun Run was not, in fact, very fun. It was okay though. I love racing, even when I am in totally sucky running shape.

Here are the highlights:

  • I finished in 27:56, which isn't great for me, but it could've been way worse.
  • I took it out in 6:46 and felt great! (you know where this is going...)
  • I was the first woman almost the whole way. (you also know where this is going...)
  • It was a gorgeous day--sunny and in the 40's.
  • Everyone was very friendly and I had a good time chatting with everyone who would talk to me before and after the race.
  • My family came to the race with me, and it was super nice to have them there, especially since this was a dinky little race which didn't mean much in the large scheme of things.
  • We went to Wendy's after the race which is such a fun, indulgent treat. We ate french fries and they were really, really salty and delicious.
Here are the lowlights: (Is that a word?)
  • After my 6:46 mile my heartrate shot up and I began breathing louder (and much faster) than Darth Vader.
  • After my first mile my pace slowed and my legs got heavier and heavier until they felt like two lead stumps swinging from my body.
  • I was overdressed in the warm temps and I sweat like a hog.
  • I lead for women the whole way until some lady swept past me as I violently sucked wind in the last mile. She wasn't breathing hard. She smiled and said, "Great work!" as she sailed past. It was very annoying.
  • Some 14 year old kid in high tops and soccer shorts out-kicked me at the end. That was probably the most special part of the race. Damn kids.
So. That was my race.

I just got BLOCK 2 from Caitlin, and I'm sad, because I am still doing aerobic ground work this month --all in zone 1. Can you hear me snoring? When do I get to lift weights and mold myself into something from American Gladiators? (Did you see that they are reviving that show? Lots of crazy people on steroids. Should be fun.) Also, my running mileage will continue to be paltry this month. I had to tape up my hands to prevent them from emailing Cait immediately and demanding more running on the schedule. I'm like a junkie without my daily fix! I can't stand it! But I am going to trust, trust, trust. No emailing. No complaining. No sneaking in extra runs. No. No. No.

I spent the afternoon trying to find lodging for the Mooseman Tri in June. Argh. P.I.T.A. There are plenty of lovely B&B's up there--but what I need is like a Super 8 really close by. Oh well. It's still going to be so fun. I'm going with Ange and we're going to kick butt! (At least that's the plan...) ;)

4 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I have either received Magnum over the years as a gift or I have bought the DVDs. However, just join Netflix. You can get movies, TV shows, etc delivered. Its great.

Great time on the race.

kodiacbear said...

Trust, Trust , Trust!!! I just moved up to a sprinkling of Z2 within the past 4 weeks and I started back in Oct. I KNOW it is frustrating but it will work. I read up on the HR training (because I was so frustrated) and it is what they say it is!

Kim said...

um holy crap lady, you are FFFFFFAST!!!!! oh my goodness!! it's my dream to run a sub-7 minute mile, and here you are, kicking ass and taking names! congrats!! and the wendys...well, that just sounds fabulous!

so i have been training since ummm july 2007 and im still in Z1... the couple of months i trained with tim last summer, he had me stay in Z1 pretty much the entire training season, and i whooped the firmman HIMs ass (well not really but i did better than i expected). so hang in there... i'm right there in Z1 with you!

Nitsirk said...

Thanks for the comment. Sounds like you are much speedier than I am. Congrats on the race. I am so glad you are doing Mooseman, it is a fantastic race. We camped last year and it was great (and cheap).