Thursday, January 31, 2008

Just for the Record...

I thought "We Built this City" was a good idea. And it was at first. It brought me back to my sophomore year in high school. It has a good beat. etc. But now I can't get the f-ing song out of my head. It's torturing me. I'm convinced this torture is divine punishment for allowing myself to indulge in such incredible cheese. --------- So the only thing better than actually getting a mammogram is getting called back by the radiologist and being told you have to come back and do it all over again. More slides needed--now not later--no, not next month--NOW. Here's the thing. My boobs are so, so, so small. They basically don't appear to exist, which is astoundingly ironic to those who have known me my whole life. Right, Ange? Currently it is my assessment that I look like a boy. Only my long hair and the crow's feet around my eyes reveal my sex and age. How could these microscopic boobies harbor anything suspicious and terrible? I digress. Today was the special day I was assigned to have my boobs mashed again. Actually, just my left boob. Apparently the right one is in the clear. I took Advil before I left this time. I've been told it would help. It didn't. After the torture of the boob mashing was over, I was asked to wait. The doctor wanted to look at the slides immediately. Don't move. Don't take off that hip mammography cape. Sit. Stay. I sat for a long time. Then I sat for more time. and a little more. I watched the news and heard all about Britney and the weather and how to cut children's hair without them freaking out and I got to pore over the new issue of Triathlete Magazine that had come to my door just the day before. It wasn't so bad. Better than working, right? Finally, I fell asleep in the waiting room, mouth open and drooling, my cape falling every which way. I'm sure my non-existent chest was exposed to the world. Finally they called me in. Nope. You can't go home. Come here, my child. Time for an ultrasound. The ultrasound made me feel very sad. The last time I had had an ultrasound was when I was pregnant with my third child, Lara. How could I be here under these circumstances? How is it possible? The technician did her thing, and then called the doctor in for a look. The doctor wasn't sure. It looked like a cyst, but not a normal cyst. It must be a COMPLICATED cyst, I was told. She would need to consult another physician. The physician was called. More waiting. The physician came. Yes. It did indeed look a very COMPLICATED cyst. Biopsy needed. Let's to it today. Now. This hour. Mary, can you stay? I say, "You know, I don't know if this makes a difference here, but right where you have found this COMPLICATED cyst? That's the place I always had a plugged duct when nursing my children. Yes, right there. I had a number of mastitis over my nursing years, the last just a year and a half ago, all with their origin right there. Yes, there. Exactly there." "Hmmmm. Well. Yes. Actually, that's interesting. Maybe it isn't a COMPLICATED cyst. Maybe it isn't a cyst at all. Let's look again. "Yes, see how it's elongated, kind of like a, um, mammory duct? Yes, and see how there's DEBRIS moving inside it? Hold your breath for a minute, Mary. Breathe in and hold. That's right. pause. pause. hmmmm. pause. "Yes. That's a plugged duct. With debris. Do you concur doctor? When did you stop nursing, Mary?" And that was that. All that panic. One technician. Two doctors. It's a duct still clogged, one year post nursing. And there's still some DEBRIS in there. That's very pleasant. What the hell is debris? Really sour milk? Yummy. Aren't I HAWT? Me with my boy chest and mammary ducts with ancient DEBRIS inside? I must return for yet another ultrasound in three months, just to be sure. Perhaps by then the DEBRIS will have moved on. But I celebrated my presumably clean bill of health by skipping the rest of school, getting a facial, buying myself a new shirt and a pair of dark purple pants and having a latte and two chocolate cinnamon cookies at Starbucks. Sigh. Aging. It ain't pretty.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Ugh. I had to go through the whole mammogram, ultrasound thing this summer, and had to have the biopsy, too - NOT fun!

I'm glad it's nothing serious, but who would have thought you could still have a plugged duct??? Bizarre.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I only the know the joy of breasts so I can't comment on plugged ducts. Booobies..... :)

Seriously, I am glad you are ok. I hope your cookies were yummy. And by the way--you are HAWT!!!

AtlantaMom said...

Wow - what a rollercoaster day! But Whew! What a relief, huh? I keep putting off my first mammogram. The mammogram order has been sitting on my kitchen counter since Nov. 30. Ahem. I'm chickenshit.

Kim said...

aw sweetie, what a terrible ordeal to go through :( that does not sound fun, that does not sound pleasant and im sorry you had to deal with all of that stuff in one day! i have had biopsies and surgeries and they SUCK!!! but big sigh of relief right?

greyhound said...

Doctors must be the WORST people in the world at two things: 1) respecting your time; and 2) making you feel good.

You can bet if guys had to get their ying yangs mashed every year or two in the name of prevention, medical science would develop a better test.

Anonymous said...

Gosh...that sounds scary. I'm glad it all turned out to be a clean bill of health for you. Mammograms are no fun, especially when they make you wait so long for results.

Glad you took the rest of the day to enjoy yourself :)

Nitsirk said...

Wow, I am so glad it turned out ok. All things considered ancient debris is far preferable to the alternative. Better safe than sorry I guess and at least you got a facial and some cookies out of it!

kodiacbear said...

"..the hell is debris? Really sour milk? Yummy. Aren't I HAWT? Me with my boy chest and mammary ducts with ancient DEBRIS inside?"

Mary, you had me on the floor LMAO, seriosly, I almost peed myself. Now why didn't they ask you in the first place?

Triteacher said...

Phew! You earned those comfort clothes and foods. I haven't gone for a mashing yet. You make me feel quite validated in that choice.

Glad everything's (tentatively) all right.