Saturday, January 19, 2008

TriGreyhound just wrote an entry about his daughter who believes him to be a model and who in her life wants to do an Ironman. His entry made me think about how the triathlon life seeps into the lives of our family. Here is a sampling of things I noticed in the last week or so:
  • My two-year-old headed to the basement because she had to "get on her trainer" (her tricycle).
  • My six-year old daughter had a friend over. When the friend saw several packs of Gu on the desk by my bike she asked what they were. Jordan replied casually, "That's Gu. You eat it when you exercise a lot. You know, like when you go on the trainer for a whole bunch of hours." The girl just looked at her like, "What?"
  • My kids set up obstacle courses in the playroom and play "triathlon." They use a blue blanket for the water, their plastic cars for the bike, and the run is real running.
  • My kids ask what workout I'm doing in the morning right before they go to bed--swimming, trainer or running--so they know whether I'll be home when they wake up.
  • When I put on Ironman St. Croix again for the tenth time the other day while I was on the trainer, my son, the four-year old said, "Mommy, you already know who wins this one. It's the guy with the white and blue! He rides the silver bike!"
  • When I told the kids I was going to race tomorrow Jordan asked, "Can we come and go out to breakfast?!" That's what my racing means to them...
The language and practice of triathlon is just a part of who this family is. They can't really escape it. I really hope each of my children adopts this life as an adult--or at least the life of the active person. I hope they don't resent their parents for being so involved in something that requires such a huge commitment--a commitment that is ultimately about me and what I have chosen as opposed to them and what they may want or need. I hope they are proud of us and want to emulate us. I hope that someday I am able to complete a triathlon with one or all of my children. -------------- Yesterday as I made dinner the kids watched part of Bambi. (What a sad movie that is!) Anyway, I walked into the family room to get them for dinner and this is what I found: Noah was the only one still awake!

4 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Looks like ya got them in prime pre-tri training phase. I would expect another year for the two year old and she'll be able to knock out a sprint course. ;)

Start em' early and they can pay for thier own college via tri.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

You are home with them and you are setting a good example. For good or bad kids learn from their parents and you are setting good habits. You should be proud of what you are you doing. And remember, part of becoming the Iron Matron was not to question everything. :)

Michelle said...

That is awesome that they play 'triathlon!' - love it! I think all us active mommies and daddies are setting such a good example for our kids. I love that Gabe and Dante see me run races, and that my going to the gym and going out for runs is just part of our life, and that it's so clear to them that it's something that's really fun to do.

I brought Gabe to a local Youth Track series last summer, and he 'competed' in a few very short races and loved it, and I have to admit, I was daydreaming about someday running a race with him.

Triteacher said...

I love the "seepage" anecdotes! I find that happens with my school kids too. One asks, "Why are you still biking all that way?" (Commutes in November) Another responds - before I can even open my mouth, "Because she's determined." :)

I want it for them too. Fitness.